Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A Small Thanksgiving Appetizer

     The time has come once again for us to gather around the table with our families and feast upon a seemingly endless supply of turkey, stuffing, and pie... oh the pie! As the time approaches, I thought I would take a moment to send out a little encouragement, because I know the holidays are not always a happy time for everyone.

     We have much for which to be thankful: family, homes, jobs, health. I don't take for granted that everyone has all the same things for which to be thankful, but we all do have something... even things we rarely consider in America. I never realized how much I take for granted until I spent a considerable amount of time in a third world country. More often now I remember to appreciate things like electricity, indoor plumbing, and the ability to drive to the corner store for a fresh bottle of water.

     Thankfulness doesn't always come easily, though. Often a family emergency, heath crisis, or financial burden can rob us of our joy and happiness replacing them with bitterness. I've been there...  However, it is in these times of hardship that thanksgiving is the most important. Scripture says, "In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you" (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Acknowledging our blessings and more importantly the Giver of our blessings not only demonstrates humility and worship but also enables us to receive peace and contentment. After all, true peace and joy only come from God through Christ who paid the debt of our sin so that we owe nothing for salvation when we trust in Him. He's the God who loves. He grieves when we grieve and rejoices when we rejoice.

     So, let me encourage you to give thanks. Let's take the time to consider our blessings, to know the Giver of blessings, and give thanks.

     Blessings,
     Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment